“Search Results” is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will add the Default Tab search bar, and change your browser homepage and default search engine to mysearchresults.com.
“Search Results” (mysearchresults.com) will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries. The “Search Results” infection is used to boost advertising revenue, as in the use of blackhat SEO, to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results.
The Default Tab isn't a virus, but exhibits a lot of malicious traits, for example; rootkit capabilities to get deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, generally just interfering with the overall user experience. The internet security industry generally refers to it as a “PUP” or potentially unwanted program.
This browser hijacker is also bundled within the custom installer on many download sites (examples: CNET, Brothersoft or Softonic), so if you have downloaded a software from these websites, chances are that Search Results was installed during the software setup process.
If you try to uninstall the program that was originally bundled with it, your web browser's default settings will not be restored. Which means you'll have to remove the Defualt Tab search bar manually. ALWAYS pay attention when installing software because often these software installers include optional installs, such as the Default Tab which could of been avoided. Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
STEP 1: Remove Default Tab by Search Results Malicious files with FixMeStick
This PUP malware is not hard at all or complicated to remove it's malicious files with the FixMeStick. You use the normal methods you have been using when running your FixMeStick. To see how to start your FixMeStick to remove this virus click HERE.
STEP 2 : Uninstall Default Tab search bar from Windows
To uninstall Default Tab by Search Results from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program. If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel“. Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there, then select Uninstall a program.
When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall BrowserDefender,SelectionLinks, MixiDJ Chrome Toolbar and DefaultTab and any other recently installed or unknown programs from your computer.
Depending on what program has installed the Default Tab search bar, the above programs may have a different name. If you cannot find any unwanted programs, then you can proceed with STEP 3.
STEP 3 : Remove the Default Tab by Search Results from your web browser
Depending on what program has installed the Default Tab by Search Results, this hijacker may install a browser extension, and will change your default browser homepage and default search engine to mysearchresults.com
Remove Default Tab by Search Results from Internet Explorer
Remove Default Tab extension from Internet Explorer.
1) Open Internet Explorer,then click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right) and then select Manage add-ons.
2) From the Toolbars and Extensions tab, select Default Tab Browser Helper,SelectionLinks and any other unwatend plugins, then click on Disable.
Set Internet Explorer default search engine from Default Tab by Search Results to Bing.
1) To change your default search engine, click on the gear icon , select Manage Add-ons, and then, under Add-on Types, click Search Providers.
2) Select Bing and on click the Set Default button.
3) To remove Search Results from Internet Explorer, select “Search Here” and click onRemove.
Change your Internet Explorer homepage from mysearchresults.com to its default1) Click on the gear icon , select Internet Explore options, and in the General tab,under theHome page section, click on Use default to restore Internet Explorer default home page.
Remove Default Tab by Search Results from Mozilla Firefox
Remove Default Tab “Search Here” extensions from Firefox.
1) At the top of the Firefox window, click the orange Firefox button, then select Add-ons.
2) Select the Extensions tab, then remove Default Tab 2.0 extension from Mozilla Firefox.
To reset your search engine and homepage from Search Results to their default, we will use the SearchReset extension.This add-on is very simple: on installation, it backs up and then resets your search preferences and home page to their default values, and then uninstalls itself. This affects the search bar, URL bar searches, and the home page.
You can download SearchReset from the below link, and then we will just need to install it to revert Firefox to its default settings.
SEARCHRESET DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open another web page from where you can download the SearchReset Firefox extension)
Remove Default Tab by Search Results from Google ChromeRemove Default Tab search bar extensions from Google Chrome.
1) Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
2) In the Extensions tab, remove Default Tab 1.1.19 and any other unknown extensions by clicking on the Recycle Bin at the end of the row.
1) Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on Manage search engines in the Search section.
In the Search Engines dialog that appears, select Google and click the Make Default button that appears in the row.
1) Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on One the New Tab page in the On Startup section.