While FixMeStick is extremely effective at removing viruses, trojans, and malware, there are some programs that our product might not remove because they can be classified as "grayware" - it falls in between malware and legitimate software. It was not removed because our engines do not classify it as malware.
Some software programs come bundled with optional programs that are automatically installed when you agree to the terms of service. These optional programs are often not classified as viruses, but can perform unwanted actions such as tracking your browsing and/or bringing up pop-ups. Here is a guide on how to remove leftover items like these.
Have a Mac? Click here.
- In some cases, unwanted browser add-ons like search bars and re-direct extensions can cause pop-ups or for your web browser to not function properly. You can easily solve this by resetting your web browser to its default settings.
1. Open a Firefox page and click the icon that looks like three stacked lines at the top right of the browser window.
2. Select the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
3. Select Troubleshooting information in the slide-out menu.
4. Select the Refresh Firefox button at the top right of the new Web page.
5. Select Refresh Firefox in the confirmation pop-up window. It will automatically restart your browser and let you know that it was refreshed successfully.
1. Click the icon that looks like three dots in a vertical line at the top right of the browser window.
2. Select Settings.
3. Scroll down as far as you can, and click on Advanced settings at the bottom of the Web page.
4. Scroll down as far as you can once more, and select Reset browser settings at the bottom of the page.
5. Select Reset in the confirmation pop-up window.
1. Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of your browser, then click on Internet Options.
2. Click on the Advanced tab and then click on Reset towards the bottom.
3. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, select Close, and then select OK. Restart your PC to apply changes.
1. Click on your Start Menu, and type Internet Options in the Search bar.
2. From here, the Internet Options are the same as for Internet Explorer. Follow the steps above.
- You can also manually remove any adware or potentially unwanted programs that the FixMeStick or other anti-virus programs are not able to. On Windows computers, ou can remove adware and other PUPs by accessing your computer’s Control Panel, then clicking on Add or Remove Programs. From there, locate the program in the list and then right-click it and select Uninstall.
1. Navigate to the computer’s Control Panel.
- Windows XP/Vista/7: Left-click on your Start Menu, and then click Control Panel.
- Windows 8/8.1/10: Right-click on your Start Menu, and then click Control Panel.
2. From Control Panel, click on Uninstall a Program under Programs and Features.
3. Locate the adware or PUP in the list, right-click it, and then click Uninstall.
4. Restart your computer to complete the uninstallation. Your computer should now be free of virus programs.