In this article, we explain how to proceed in the event your scan is not connecting to the internet.
Below you will find instructions on how to manually connect to your network or establishing a wired connection, how to get the updates on another computer, and when to proceed without internet.
1. Check the Network icon in the top right hand corner of the scan.
2. Is there a red x? - Left click on this icon.
3. Select your Network and enter the password.
4. Wait for Network to connect.
- If this does not connect - proceed with the next steps.
1. Plug in an ethernet cable.
2. Leave the ethernet cable plugged in for the duration of the scan.
3. If you do not have an ethernet cable in your home - follow the instructions below on how to update your FixMeStick on another computer.
1. Plug the FixMeStick into a USB port of another computer.
2. Hold the Alt/Option key down on your keyboard.
3. Turn on your Mac.
- You will see these boot device options on your screen.
4. You may not be able to use your mouse on this screen. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select EFI Boot, and then press Enter\Return.
- If you do not see EFI Boot in the Startup menu, follow this article to learn how to proceed.
5. Your FixMeStick for Mac will start booting.
- Note: It may take some time for your wireless mouse and keyboard devices to pair with the computer. If it does not seem to be connecting, try turning both devices off and on again.
6. Let the scan get past Step 4 (Loading Virus Scanners).
7. Exit the scan by left-clicking the power button in the top right hand corner.
8. You may now return to your original computer for a scan. You have now ensured the Malware definitions are up to date.
- If you are still not able to connect to the internet, you will see an option to "Skip Internet Connection" after some time has elapsed. Clicking this and running the scan without internet is totally safe, and will still complete a full scan.
It is completely possible to run a scan without internet. The FixMeStick will still do the same job in identifying and removing Malware from your device. If you are running scans on more than one Mac consistently, your FixMeStick will automatically be up to date, and therefore will complete the most efficient scan. Make sure if you are running a scan without internet, and you have followed the steps on how to update from another computer.