In this article, we explain what steps to take when you are not able to properly boot into a scan on your Mac computer, and instead see a black screen after selecting EFI Boot in the Startup Menu.
The FixMeStick scan may temporarily show a black screen and then automatically progress to the scan. However, if you are seeing a black screen after selecting EFI boot for longer than 1 minute, then you will need to try starting a scan following these steps.
1. Shut your computer down and plug in your FixMeStick.
2. Press the power button, and then immediately hold down the Alt/Option key on the keyboard.
3. Let go of the Alt/Option key once the Startup Menu loads. From the Startup Menu, using your keyboard arrows, select EFI Boot.
4. Once you’ve selected EFI boot, start tapping on your space bar on your keyboard. The FixMeStick splash screen will display, and then you can let go of the space bar and use your down arrow key to highlight FixMeStick Mac (Failsafe 1) and then hit Enter.
- Our in-scan screen will appear, as shown below. Your computer will search for an internet connection in step one, and will connect automatically.
- Tip: If selecting Failsafe 1 did not successfully start a scan, then you will need to start the process over again, this time selecting Failsafe 2.
- Step 2 will check for product updates, which is also automatic. At this point, the program may go back to the logo screen, and repeat steps one and two. That’s normal!
- Step 3 is checking malware definitions, which is also automatic. You will be prompted in the upper-right hand corner to register your stick, as shown below. We highly recommend you register your stick.
- Once the scan if fully engaged in step three, you will be prompted with a message saying You can go take a break! Your input is no longer needed. This scan can take from one to several hours. At this point, you can leave your computer and let the scan run its course. Scans typically take between two and six hours to complete, but may be longer depending on the number of files on the computer.
5. Once the scan is complete, our program will show you everything it found, and ask if you would like to clean it, as shown below. Simply left-click Clean. If no threats were found, you can skip this option.
6. When the FixMeStick has completed its cleaning, you will receive a notice to exit FixMeStick and restart your computer. Once you left-click exit and wait for your computer to shut down, you can remove our USB device and start your computer again.
If the failsafe options do not work, you will need to complete a factory upgrade on your FixMeStick.
1. With your computer on and your FixMeStick plugged in, click here to download the factory upgrade.
- If you are using Google Chrome, you will see the download appear in a toolbar at the bottom of your browser.
- Otherwise, you can find the file in the Downloads folder in your Finder, found in your Dock.
2. Double-click on the download, which should then open this window:
3. Right-click on the FixMeStickFactoryUpgrade icon, click Open, and then allow the application to open by clicking Yes.
- Note: your security preferences may require that you enter your password.
- Now wait for the download to complete. It can take up to several minutes.
4. Once the window shows that the factory upgrade has downloaded successfully, then shut your computer down and try starting a scan over from the beginning.